Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The BEST Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Ever!

I can not believe it. I've made a GF chocolate cake that has met all expectations of what a good cake should be from my distant memory of 'normal' chocolate cake. Every Sunday I bake for the school lunch boxes and there has been an ongoing debate in our house about which type of chocolate cake is due that week i.e. the soy flour gf one I have been making for the last year, or the 'hard to contest' Jo Seagar Deep Celebration one with regular flour for the more hardy members of our family. So this week I decided to amend the most popular choice (of the 6ft opinionated and hungry teenage son) to a gf version. And it worked! Thanks due to Jo Seagar, a great home comfort cook. Of course, it is only half the height but after three days it is still moist as you can see in the photo.


Even more surprising, everyone likes it which is a little upsetting for my 11 year old son who is precious about the gf food I make for him and his sister....

Celebration Chocolate Cake

2 cups gluten free flour (1 cup tapioca, 1/2 cup rice flour, 1/2 cup potato flour)
2 cups sugar
3/4 cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1 cup strong black coffee
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup soya oil

Mix everything in a food processor until smooth and well combined. 
Pour into a greased and baking lined cake tin 23-25cm. 
The mixture is very runny - don't panic! Bake 180°C for approx 1 1/2 hours. 
Cool on a rack and ice when completely cold.

Chocolate Icing

125gm butter, softened
1 cup dark choc chips, melted
3 1/2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Beat butter until smooth and creamy. Add remaining ingredients and beat until smooth. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! And I know what you mean about gluten free cakes being half the height... oh well as long as they taste good I say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for a new GF chocolate cake recipe. Thanks for this. I'll let you know how I get on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a good recipe for me to try as a new GF baker. I'm guessing that "3/4 cocoa" is 3/4 of a cup?

    ReplyDelete