Thursday, June 9, 2011

Macaroons for chocoholics


Would you believe the first time I'd ever eaten a macaroon (or even noticed them) was last November at the Arts and Plants Festival at Geraldine? Typically I avoid baking stalls for a number of reasons : 
1. It's probably not gluten free  
2. I'm highly suspicious about who made them and where they were made
3. I have unrealistic standards about baking and homemade stalls often have dodgy looking goods. 
I'm not claiming to be an expert myself but I can claim to being a past winner, and judge, of the baking section at the Mackenzie Highland Show! (and that is big where I come from...)

So it was lunchtime and I was hungry. These scummy macaroons with chocolate chips were labelled as GF  and I decided to ignore the ridiculous price that everyone seems to think is acceptable for GF food and try one. Yum! I ended up buying another to take home and try and replicate. 

Here is the recipe I devised with the assistance of google. I thought they would be better with a dip in chocolate, what do you think?

Double Chocolate Macaroons (GF)

3 cups coconut
2oz (3/16 cup) condensed milk
pinch salt
2 cups chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup rice flour

Combine these ingredients then fold into the meringue mixture made from:
4 large egg whites beaten until stiff 
then slowly add 1/2 cup castor sugar

Spoon onto baking paper and bake at 160°C for 20 minutes
When cool dip into melted dark chocolate


No comments:

Post a Comment