Saturday, July 2, 2011

Wintertime ducks


There is something about ducks that I've always had a fondness for. They are a good subject to photograph against the reflection of water and I often walk down to the nearby reserve to take photos. At this time of the year there are plenty of ducks taking sanctuary from duck shooting season on farmers' ponds!

I've had varied success with breeding and raising ducks in the past. When I was 11, I rescued a family of newborn orphaned ducklings and took them away with me on a weekend to Lake Tekapo to stay with a school friend. I remember they were very full on and would not let me out of their sight - there was a lot of noise at night time!
Pekin ducks are my favourite - I had a breeding pair about ten years ago when I lived in the country but found they make hopeless mothers. One duck took all her young ducklings through the long wet grass and they all died of hypothermia. Tragic. I've given up trying to raise anything other than children now!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous02 July, 2011

    What a beautifully perfect photograph.

    ReplyDelete