Thursday, January 19, 2012

Banoffee Sour Cream Pie


I think I've just created the most delicious dessert I've ever made (well, if I don't count anything made with chocolate!!) It's a combination of banana, caramel and sour cream and I am in pudding heaven, eating it as I type. Many years ago when I was a student at Canterbury University I would spend what little treat money I had - these were the days before student loans - on this amazing dessert from Mainstreet cafe. It was a wholemeal based pie with a banana sour cream filling. When I left Christchurch after five years, I would have friends bring some back for me to Timaru on a mercy mission. 

I've never found a recipe for it. There was nothing close to what my memory could recall on a Google search either, so tonight I decided to try and create my own version with a hint of caramel in it. I guess it could also be called Banoffee (Banana + Toffee) Cheesecake. Who doesn't love banoffee pie?

Baked Banoffee Cheesecake

Base

200 gm rice cookies (gf vanilla wine biscuits) 
or plain biscuits or digestive biscuits for gluten diets
100 gm gf rolled oats

Blend in a processor and add:
50gm melted butter
Blend and press in to a greased springform tin
Bake 180℃ 10 minutes then cool - turn oven to 140℃

Filling

250 gm cream cheese
2 Tbsp rice flour (✳ or white flour)
50 gm castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla paste
2 bananas
1/3 can caramelised condensed milk (about 3-4 Tbsp)

Blend in a processor then add:

250 gm sour cream
2 eggs

Blend until the mixture is very smooth.
Pour onto the base and bake at 140℃ for 1 hour.
Cool and refrigerate until ready to serve.


2 comments:

  1. OMG! This looks awesome, so wish I wasn't going to work soon or I'd be in the kitchen creating a slice of heaven! Thanks for sharing I'm going to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, this looks yummy Diana - will have to try it sometime!
    I have been given an award and I am to pass it on to other blogs that have fewer than 200 followers - would you accept it please and add it to your own blog page.
    You can link it up from bestofbetsys.blogspot.co.nz
    Be in touch sometime,
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete